Saturday, August 11, 2012

Final Reflection

"It's hard to deny that the act of living in another country, in another language, fundamentally changes you. Different parts of your personality float to the top, and you take on qualities, mannerisms and opinions that define the new people around you. And there's nothing wrong with that; it's often part of the reason you left in the first place. You wanted to evolve, to change something, to put yourself in an uncomfortable new situation that would force you into a new phase of your life."
Chelsea Fagan, “What Happens When You Live Abroad”

Wow, I'm so appreciative that I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Morocco this summer and experience what I was able to experience. Learning Arabic, living with a host family and seeing the culture and country dynamics was a exhilarating whirlwind six weeks. It opened my eyes up and made me realize that I have so much more to learn about the world. I'm honored and privileged to have met such beautiful people in Morocco and create lasting relationships with my host family and mentors. I will miss Morocco and the people I met especially, but I know I will be back to visit one day. Until then, inshallah. (Word used in almost every conversation in Morocco, "inshallah" means god willing.)






No comments:

Post a Comment