Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Morocco by night

Its my second to last night and i unexpectedly went out with my host mom and sister.  I decided to go out at night with them because i wanted to experience ramadan at night since all my friends have been going out late the last couple weeks with their host families.  My host sister told me we were going to a ladies house for her to get fitted for jellabas but it turned into a night around the city. Nothing comes as a surprise to me anymore,  Moroccan time is a way of life here. Just go with the flow! We drove for about forty minutes, beautiful cool weather!  Then we stopped at a shopping mall where my host mom bought kitchen supplies. Its so interesting to experience shopping here. Its not our Walmart or target. The store is filled with products that look like they haven't been regulated or certified as safe. The shopping center was filled mostly with women and children. At night during Ramadan a lot of the men sit at cafés.  Its really rare to see woman sitting there, especially alone. The cafes remind me of mens clubs. All of them have fun lights and are super modern because they are like "u.s bars", the place to be at night since alcohol is forbidden in Islam. There are also alot of families out, playing in the park and street. Its so awesome to experience the days reversed.  People sleep in the day and go out at night. Im so glad i decided to go with my host mom and sister so i could experience Ramadan by night!

No comments:

Post a Comment